The most familiar way to use essential oils is by adding them to a diffuser. Although, it is convenient to use oils and that usually depends on the outcomes you expect to see. So, this is where carrier oils come into use.
Essential oils and carrier oils are extracted from plants. Carrier oils dilute the essential oils for use on the skin because essential oils are powerful and can result in skin irritation when applied directly.
Carrier oils are generally unscented or lightly scented and don’t affect the essential oil’s therapeutic properties when mixed. They are used alone or with other oils to nourish the skin.
Choose the right carrier oil for yourself
With multiple options available, they are appropriate to use with any essential oil but consider a few things before choosing the right one.
- Odour: Few of the carrier oils have a distinct odour and when they are added to essential oil, it may alter the fragrance.
- Absorption: Your skin may absorb some carrier oils better than others.
- Skin type: Some oils may irritate, depending on your skin type or a skin condition such as acne.
- Shelf life: Some oils can be stored for longer periods than others.
Buy therapeutic-grade carrier oils only from a manufacturer you can trust and look for oils that are 100% pure, and preservative-free.
What are some good carrier oils?
- Fractionated Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has antioxidants and Vitamin E and Fractionating coconut oil make it perfect for aromatherapy. The fractionating process produces a liquid consistency giving the oil a much longer shelf life and creating a non-greasy, light, and better absorption oil.
- Sweet Almond Oil: It is great for all skin types and is absorbed by the skin fairly well. However, if you have nut allergies, then avoid using it.
- Jojoba Oil: Although it is called an oil, jojoba is a liquid wax. The oil keeps the skin hydrous and is good for hair. It is similar to the oil that your skin produces naturally.
- Grapeseed Oil: This oil is moisturizing, and its aroma is light and sweet. It benefits the skin with blemishes.